Matagorda County courthouses over time

An artist’s sketch shows the first courthouse in Matagorda in 1848, when that town was the county seat. Voters chose Bay City as the county seat in 1894 and perhaps the county’s most striking courthouse was built in the new community in 1895. The courthouse went through another facelift in the 1950s. This structure was the later enlarged and remodeled version of the 1895 building. Today’s Matagorda County Courthouse was built in 1965.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet