Caney grew where several early roads crossed

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/
The Caney store first opened in 1853 by Virginian Presley C. Evans at the crossroads of the routes leading from Matagorda to San Felipe and Columbus and from Brazoria to Texana and Victoria. Another Virginia native, John Matthews took over its operation in 1857 and ran the store until 1913.

   Situated in the shadows of the Bay City Regional Airport, near the crossroads of FM 457 and FM 2540, is a small cemetery which was a part of the Caney community, and is now only a memory, except for the historical marker placed on the side during the Texas Centennial in 1936. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet