Blessing's roots sink deep in county's history

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/
More early scenes of Blessing: the Logan Building housed several businesses in its long life.

   The inception of the town of Blessing took place in the mind of Jonathan E. Pierce, owner of "Rancho Grande" on the east side of the Tres Palacios River near Deming's Bridge.
   Pierce owned cattle and land along the Tres Palacios as did other pioneer families. 
   Surnames of some of the early settlers from about 1835 to 1900 were Keller, Wheeler, Rowles, Poole, Pybus, Lacey, Partain, McSparran, Yeamans, Downer, and Duffy.
   These families were served by the early communities of Deming's Bridge and Tres Palacios, each with a general store and post office. 
   West of the Tres Palacios River was the Carancahua River. 
   Some names of families living along this stream were: Rhodes, Logan, Fleury, Harris, Jordan, and Bolling.
To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 
Rate this article: 
No votes yet