Pledger's economy often tied to area developments

Matagorda County genweb: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/
Pledger area farmers raised sugar cane, cotton and corn. There were three cotton gins to process cotton grown in the 1920s and 1930s.

   The Pledger community, a 36-square- mile area, is in the northeast corner of Matagorda County.  
   The Pledger townsite, which was platted and filed March 3, 1902, is about 17 miles south of Wharton, 17 miles north of Bay City, and 17 west of West Columbia.  
   FM 1301, which connects Wharton and West Columbia, passes through the townsite. FM 1728, which begins at FM 1301 in Pledger goes south toward Sugar Valley and Bay City.  
   Pledger remains primarily an agricultural community.  
   Products include pecans, turf grass, grains, soy beans, hay, livestock and cotton.  
   Pledger’s 2014 population is 217 - it is now a “bedroom” community for workers in Houston, Wharton, West Columbia, Bay City, Old Ocean, Freeport and the STNP.  
   Although the present townsite was not platted until 1902, the area has been served by post offices named Pledger since May 17, 1880. 
To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 
Rate this article: 
No votes yet