Historical marker observes Van Vleck school history

Matagorda County genweb: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/
Above, a 1901 photo of the Van Vleck school, while the photo below was a 1914 view of the Van Vleck school.

   Please join us in honoring Van Vleck ISD as we dedicate a Registered Texas Historical Subject Marker recognizing the history of the second oldest school district in Matagorda County.
   Education was a priority to the earliest residents of Matagorda County. 
   School was held early in the settlement of most of the communities - usually under less than acceptable circumstances and with few materials. 
   During the 1800s, private schools were the primary avenues for educating Matagorda County students. 
   Many plantation owners employed private tutors for their children. 
   By late 1899, a small railroad had made its way into Matagorda County and pushed its way through the old Hardeman Post Office area now known as Van Vleck. 
   The area continued to grow and gained its name from one of its prominent residents, Southern Pacific Railroad Superintendent, W.G. Van Vleck (1857 – 1914). 
   With the coming of the railroad, came more students in need of educating in the Van Vleck area. A small school was built in 1901 for the white students. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet