Colonial Theatre through the years

Bay City Sentinel/Mike Reddell
The theater building today.

   The Colonial/Texas theater has a long history in Bay City and the building is back in the news because the Rhema Church offered to give the structure to the City of Bay City as a possible cultural arts center.
   Council is discussing the offer and how much needed renovations will cost, with a goal of turning it over to another group to manage.
   In 1927, the Colonial Theater was built at 2227 Avenue F in Bay City, by James R. Preddy, Mae Brunner and P. R. Hamill.
   It was soon reopened as John Long bought the building and renamed it the "Texas."
   Indeed, the structure was long known as the Long Building.
   The theater has a 4,985-square-foot theater and 1,560-square-foot balcony. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet