Mount Pilgram Missionary: On Caney, before recorded history
Mount Pilgram MIssionary Baptist Church

    The story of the Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church membership began prior to the earliest recorded history – on the bank of Caney Creek, during a journey through slavery. 
   During the earliest period slaves who could, gathered to worship in their quarters or under trees. In addition, homecomers have contended that prior to 1885, a log cabin was used for church.  
   The founding fathers of Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church had a zest for living. The Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church’s founding fathers or their ancestors were residence of the plantations along Lower Caney.  
   Slaves came from far and near, to include from the Hudgins Settlement through the Lynville Community, the Buckner’s Prairie area and the Mount Pilgrim Baptist Church area. 
   December 3, 1885, Annie Warren Rugeley and her husband Edward Rugeley sold the one-tract to Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church.  
   It is situated on County Road 151, about eleven miles from Bay City, Texas and about one mile off County Road 457.  

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet