Tin Top began in 1929 to provides services once provided by Simpsonville

Simpsonville, lower left, is shown on this 1920 Texas highway map.

  Tintop (originally Tin Top) is a tiny country-store community at the intersection of Farm roads 1095 and 521, 14 miles southwest of Bay City in southwestern Matagorda County.  
   It was named after the roofing material of its buildings.  
   Tin Top, which originally consisted of a cotton gin and a country store, was founded around 1929 to provide services to area farmers after the end of similar services in Simpsonville, a mile to the east, which had been bypassed by the county road. 

To read more, please log in or subscirbe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet