Confederate defenses at mouth of Caney Creek

   The specific actions at the mouth of Caney Creek occurred in January and February of 1864.  
   A Confederate force of 4000 to 6000 men occupied a fortification and camp consisting of a main sand fortress, rifle pits, trench works and several redoubts. Union gunboats of the West Gulf Blockading Squadron intermittently bombarded the fortification several times during the two months.  
   The Confederate force was positioned to oppose a Federal move up the coast toward Galveston. The Confederate force was withdrawn after it was determined that the expected Union advance was being abandoned in favor of an attempt to invade Texas from the Mansfield, Louisiana Area (the Red River Campaign). 
   The construction and manning of the fortification system was a part of an overall defense plan by Confederate Major General John Bankhead Magruder, Commander of the District of Texas.  
   Reporting to Magruder was Brigadier General H.P. Bee who headquartered in the area.  
   Magruder expected the area to be attacked by a Federal invasion force commanded by Major General N.P. Banks.  
   Reporting to Banks were Major General C.C. Washburn and General N.J.T. Dana. 
   On Oct. 26, 1863, General Banks had sailed from New Orleans with an army of 7,500 men, 13 transports and 3 gunboats.

To read more, please lo gin or subscirbe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet