Moore House built for a prominent leader

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/
The D.P. and Louise Moore House at 2404 Ave. E, was built two years before Bay City was officially incorporated in 1894. This is the state historical marker for the house that was dedicated in 1993.

   The D.P. and Louise Moore home was built on block 60 in 1902 by builders Hatchett and Large. 
   The land was purchased from David Swickheimer on Nov. 20, 1894. 
   Lots 4 - 9 - 2404 Ave. E - were for the homesite, and the other half was used for pasture. 
   It is a late Victorian two-story, four-bay wood-frame residence, with columned and ballustraded front porch and gallery, projecting gable roofed section with bay, and small Palladian window in gable. 
   The house has two fireplaces, grill work inside the music and dining rooms, drop ceilings downstairs, front and back stairs, porches up and down. 
   Also, leaded glass windows in the living room, frosted and etched glass front door. 
   Downstairs are a bed, living music, dining and breakfast rooms, two kitchens, and a bath. 
   Upstairs are five bedrooms, parlor and a bath. 
   A closed stairway leads to the attic, with a ladder extending to the “widow’s walk.” 
   Elegant proportioning and good quality detail make this well-designed structure one of the finest late Victorian residences in Bay City.
   The first cement sidewalk in the city extends from the house to the street. 
   A picket fence enclosed the six lots. 
   Originally, an attached building held the acetylene gas plant, as gas was used until the house was wired for electricity in 1903. 
   Above the gas house, was an octagon-shaped structure holding a cyprus cistern that was fed from gutters on the roof. 
   In the yard was a windmill and tank, large two story barn with stall for horses, corn crib, hay storage, and a room for the carriage. 
   Other buildings were chicken house, brick sweet potato house, pens for the livestock and a one-room servant’s house.
Dolph Phenias Moore was born in Indianola, Oct. 6, 1852, to Robert Baxter Moore and Mary Layton Moore - both being citizens of the Republic of Texas, and of Revolutionary War descendants.

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet