Bethlehem Church centerpiece of Cedar Lake history

The state historical marker for Bethlehem Christian Church, above, refers to the church building, above right, built in 1951, that was replaced by the present church today.
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/

   Cedar Lake,on Farm Road 2611 just west of the Brazoria county line in southeastern Matagorda County, was named for a cedar brake surrounding a nearby lake. 
   A post office operated there from 1848 until 1855. 
   In September 1854 the name was changed to Dura, and in November, to Duroc. 
   The Ewing Plantation was in the area of Cedar Lake by 1860. 
   When Roberta Ewing died, she was buried in the Cedar Lake Church cemetery, but the grave has no marker.
   In 1870, there were 28 families in the Cedar Lake area.
   The Bethlehem Christian Church began in 1872 with the Rev. Henry Woodard as pastor.
   Freedmen worshipped there and were buried in the cemetery.
   A post office known as Roweville operated from 1890 until 1893, when the community changed the name to Cedar Lake. 
   A large store was built on the banks of Cedar Lake.

To read more, please log in or subscirbe to our diigtal ediiton.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet