Camp Palomar was Texas’ 1st summer high school

rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago
Above, the Junior Class at Camp Palomar in Palacios. At right, is an advertisement for the summer camp and, below, the BYPU Auditorium in the early 1920s

   In the spring of 1919 Dr. J. V. Brown, then President of San Marcos Baptist Academy, saw the need of a summer term of school in order for students to remove some of the deficiencies in their high school courses. 
   The problem was discussed from many angles with members of the Academy faculty, and the conclusion was reached that such opportunity for study in the summer must be offered. 
   It appeared feasible that a program of study and recreation should be set up in order that the enterprise would be interesting and attractive to pupils. 
   In considering the place to carry out such a combination of effort, it was found that the Baptist Encampment grounds at Palacios offered most excellent facilities. 
   Arrangements were made with the manager of the Encampment ground to that end.
   Dr. J.C. McElhannon, now the head of the English Department at Baylor University, then Dean of the Academy, was appointed to supervise the first term of the summer school at Palacios. 
   The motto “Why Waste A Summer” was adopted and an advertising campaign was set-up. 
   The course of study covered practically all of the literary courses in high school with piano, and expression as the fine arts. 

To read more, please log in or subscirbe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet