Collegeport ‘Bonehead Club’ opposed closing school

Photos from Mopac House Foundation
Above, a newspaper article dated Jan. 9, 1925, announced the formation of a new Collegeport organization, the Bonehead Club. It was a men’s social club and the first officers were E.A. Holsworth, Most Magnificent Bonehead; Judge Corse and John Evans. The office titles for the latter two were not mentioned.

Bonehead Club of Collegeport Has Regular Meeting
   Collegeport, May 6 - (Spl) - At the regular monthly meeting of the Bonehead Club last night at the Mo-Pac Community Center several matters of general interest were presented.
   The community is considerably disturbed by the rumor that school officials plan to discontinue our school here at the close of the present term. 
   A committee was appointed to draft a petition to be circulated here and presented to the school board as soon as possible expressing the deep concern of the entire community in this matter. 
   The point was emphasized that the closing of the school would necessitate a long bus ride for seven and eight year-old pupils each morning, starting at an early hour each morning. 
   The following committee has this matter in hand: Billy Halfen, chairman, R.L. Corporon, C.J. Williams and Rev. A.G. Fitzgerald.
   The telephone committee reported that recent information from the company was to the effect that materials for the construction of the line were being received and that it was hoped to have the work under way within the next ten days. 
   A marine cable will be laid across Tres Palacios Bay, terminating near the Mowery residence.
   Preliminary provisions were set up for the observing of Collegeport Day, May 25. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet