Citrus Grove’s Thanksgiving tradition remembered

Matagorda County TXGenWeb
Above, members of the Corporon Family (back: Ira, Ina, Gaines, Onie and George (front) Percy, Will, Reba, Susanna and Dick .

   Citrus Grove is a quiet farming community in Southwestern Matagorda County.  
   It was established in 1908 as the town of Satsuma by the Burton D. Hurd Land Company. 
   As the town developed, the St Louis, Brownsville & Mexico Railroad extended a line from Buckeye to Collegeport, building stations at Simpsonville (East of present day Tin Top,) Satsuma and Collegeport, which was another settlement of the Hurd Land Company about five miles farther southwest.  
   Postal service was established in late 1910, but because the name Satsuma was already used by another post office, the town’s name was changed to Citrus Grove. 
   As part of a colonization scheme to settle the vast prairies of the Texas Gulf Coast, many of the residents were enticed to come from mid-western states to buy farms and establish businesses. 
   Surnames of those who first bought land at Citrus Grove include: Gableman, Batchelder, Corporon, Delaplain, Burnes, Bonneau, Peltier, Foulks, Crabill, Shuey, Yeamans, Johnson, Meyers, Fief, Kielhorn, Buzzett, Braden, Anderson, Douglas, Hilbs, Stanfield, Miller, Erickson, Ives, Benedict, Hunt, King, Yates, Mize, and Reeves.  
   The settlers gathered at Satsuma House on Thanksgiving Day, 1909 to celebrate this holiday with neighbors in their new town. Having left behind their extended families, a sense of community quickly developed among the settlers. 
   That first Thanksgiving gathering was a success, and the community gathered again in 1910 for Thanksgiving dinner—now in the new freight depot. The Citrus Grove Thanksgiving Dinner became an annual event held there until rail service was discontinued in 1933.  

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet