Ambitious plans were laid for Austin in Matagorda County

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

   Moses Austin, the father of Stephen F. Austin, had planned a settlement at the mouth of the Colorado River which he would called Austina.  
   He died of pneumonia before his town could be established.  
   By 1836, however a point of the eastside off Tres Palacios Bay was names Austin. 
   In 1836 Captain Thomas Bridges, a shipmaster from Massachusetts, was engaged to carry arms and supplies from New Orleans to Texas ports, running the Mexican “blockade”.  
   He learned of the offer by the government of Texas a township to be given to anyone who would bring his family and reside in it.  
   Bridges and his brother, who was the mate of the ship, went west of the town of Matagorda and found land on the east coast of Tres Palacios Bay.
   Captain Bridges bought 800 acres if land in the vicinity of Oyster Lake.  
   For some unknown reason, Captain Bridges moved north toward the tip of land called Point Pleasant, now known as Oliver Point.  
   The land, originally bought from John C. Parton, was sold at a sheriff’s sale in 1847 to pay debts.  
   The family of john Duncan had been residing on the land where Bridges wished to build the City of Austin.  
   Duncan thought the land was public domain.  

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet