Multiple investigations made on Caney Creek ship wreck

This is a model of the Black Cloud, which was investigated in 1980 by students from the Nautical Archaeology Program at Texas A & M University. It illustrates construction techniques used later in western steamboat design. Several of the Black Cloud’s dimensions can be compared to the Caney Creek wreck. The Black Cloud was built in Orange, Texas, in 1864.

   Caney Creek, in Southeast Texas, was an important thoroughfare for steam navigation in the 19th century. 
   This creek provided communication between the wealthy upstream plantations, and the ports of Matagorda, Indianola, and abroad. In the 1800’s, Caney Creek, also known as “Cane Brake Creek,” or “Old Caney” emptied into the Gulf of Mexico just east of Matagorda Bay. 
   During the period of rising sea levels, a wide estuary occupied the present Caney Creek area. This estuary gradually filled with fluvial deposits of the Holocene Brazos-Colorado Delta. 
   The main eroding stream, presently the main channel of the Colorado River, split away from the older (Caney Creek) channel and diverted flow to the west. The massive log jam trapped sediments in the Colorado and prevented the river from creating a delta into Matagorda Bay until it was removed in 1929. 
   The original waters of the Colorado, therefore, discharged into the Gulf of Mexico by two distinct mouths, 25 miles apart, forming an intensive island (Bay City Breeze, Feb. 19, 1898). 
   Bottomlands, lying between the Colorado River and Caney Creek, contained large prairies covered with a lush growth of grass and one of the most extensive canebrakes in Texas. 
   The cane extended several miles in breadth for a distance of 40-50 miles. 
   Reportedly, it was so thick that it became dangerous to travel within its boundaries. Indian and animal attacks were common, and early set

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet