Pledger family held vast plantation in northeast Matagorda County

Matagorda County Museum
The Pledger family

By Dexter Hodge 
Matagorda County TXGenWeb

   Phillip Pledger, the first Pledger to arrive in America, emigrated from Wales. He and Mary Ann Ellis of Virginia were wed, and in 1752 moved from Amelia County, Virginia, to Marlboro County, South Carolina. 
   John Christifor Pledger and his two brothers moved south from Darlington, South Carolina, about 1825-1830.  
   It is believed that John Christifor and his two brothers were the sons of Phillip and Mary Ann Ellis Pledger. John Christifor settled in Marianna, Florida, where his great-grandson, S. A. Pledger, was born. S A. Pledger later lived in Tallahassee, Florida.  
   One brother settled in Alabama and another brother settled in Texas. 
   William Ellis Pledger, who wed Mary Ann Dalton, migrated from South Carolina to Texas in 1836 or 1837.  
   It is believed that William Ellis Pledger was the brother of John Christifor and son of Phillip and Mary Ann Ellis Pledger.  
   The name of the other brother of John Christifor, who migrated to Alabama, was not known. 
   When William and Mary came to Texas they were accompanied by their children and the Reverend Caleb Ives, the first Episcopal Minister in Texas, who ministered Christ Church, Matagorda. 
   William A. Pledger, a son of William and Mary, was born about 1821 in South Carolina.  
   James Pledger, another son, was probably born in South Carolina.  
   Their other three children were daughters: Desdemona, Narcissa Dalton, and Mary Eliza. Desdemona died young; Ann Eliza lived until about 1900 and was buried in Rock Creek Cemetery, Washington, D. C., Narcissa Dalton died in March of 1867 William Ellis Pledger died prior to April 5, 1847, and his wife, Mary Ann Dalton Pledger, died in May of 1856. 
   On August 19, 1853, Mary Ann Dalton Pledger purchased 300 acres of land from Celia Shrock who had acquired It from Colonist Lawrence Ramey on February 7, 1852. 
      This tract was part of the Stephen F Austin grant of May 23, 1827, to Colonist Lawrence Ramey, and was described as a league of land lying between the San Bernard River and Caney Creek, Survey No. 14.  
   It was the most northeast league of land in Matagorda County. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet