Tidehaven was early Tres Palacios River port

Handbook of Texas Online

   Tres Palacios, also known as Tidehaven, was a port community on the Tres Palacios River south of Hawley and near what is now Farm Road 459, thirteen miles southwest of Bay City in western Matagorda County. 
   Pumphrey Burnett was reportedly the founder of Tidehaven, so named because it was just beyond the farthest reach of the invading tidewaters of Palacios Bay. 
   A local history reports that during the 1830s and 1840s steamers regularly stopped at Tidehaven, which at one time had a blacksmith shop, a grocery store, a livery stable, and two hotels. 
   Shipments through Tres Palacios included cotton, peaches, sugarcane, cattle, and hides, which may have been tanned at the nearby Grimes Ranch tannery. 
   A meat cannery also operated in the vicinity. 
   The community name was changed to Tres Palacios with the March 1856 establishment of the Tres Palacios post office. 
   Though the post office was closed by July of that same year, it was reestablished in 1888. 
   It closed again temporarily in 1903, and then permanently in 1904, when local mail was routed through Blessing. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition.

 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet