"Blessing High School’s long life serving students"

Matagorda County TXGenWeb
Above, Blessing High School constructed in 1935 - and later Blessing Elementary - and, below, the first brick public school building in Blessing.

Blessing High School 1935 - 1950
Researched by Betty Lou Rickaway 2005
Edited by Mary Belle Ingram

   (Editor’s note: This is the first article of a two part series on Blessing High School’s history.)
   Blessing High School constructed in 1935 during the height of the depression and with assistance in building by Federal Funds is the story of leaders of a rural community persevering and building a school that served as a high school until 1951, becoming an elementary school which is still in existence in 2005.
   The Blessing Independent School District was created as an independent district in July, 1919 by a special act of the 36th legislature, Senate Bill 150, Chapter 64. It then consisted of 30,472 acres and with 39th legislature, Senate bill 366, Chapter 83. 
   By 1934, this district had grown to 62,112.1 acres and was made up of the rural communities of Blessing, Ohio Colony, El Maton, Ashby and Midfield.
   At that time the school for all grades was a two-story brick building which had been built in 1912 and was situated at 7th Street and Liveoak, facing East. The building was now overcrowded and needing major repairs.
   As early as 1931 Blessing school board members C. E. Duller (1874-1937) chairman and Adelaide H. Pierce (1885-1967), secretary saw the need to build a new high school and looked into having an election to get a bond passed but realized there wasn’t enough money for even the first years expenses so this idea was tabled. 
   The very next year in 1932 the school board decided to build a new school and hired E. L. Steck and Company to draw up the proper paperwork.
   E. L. Steck and Company prepared the paperwork for the bond election scheduled for November 21, 1933 and material required to get a 30% government grant under the National Reconstruction Act. 
   In addition the Board of Trustees made an application for a loan from the Public Works Administration authorized by the National Industrial Recovery Act for $51,500.50 payable for 30 years. 
   The bond election failed by a vote of 41 for and 63 against.
   The Assistant State Superintendent, L. L. Dinkins, told the board to have meetings with the residents of the school district to discuss building a new high school whereas they could see the problems of overcrowding and the need for the expanded school district. A second bond election was ordered for February 10, 1934, and the results were 151 for and 84 against. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet