"County takes next step in preventing Sargent Beach erosion " by: Mike Reddell

Sentinel photo/Mike Reddell
Matagorda County Commissioners Court approved a resolution proclaiming Oct. 6-12 as National 4-H Week. Matagorda County 4-H members are, from left, Tanner Ryman, Madi Spalek, Mallory Grimes, Clay Allison, Gabe Sumrall and Spencer Hogg. They’re shown with commissioners Gary Graham and Bubba Frick, County Judge Nate McDonald and commissioners Kent Pollard and James Gibson.

   A contract for work that’s the next step in the Sargent Beach breakwater and renourishment pilot study was approved by commissioners court at its regular meeting Monday, Oct. 7.
   “This is the next step” on a multi-phase process to prevent Sargent Beach erosion and to rebuild it, County Judge Nate McDonald said.
   Earlier this year, the study proposed placing five, 442-foot-long barriers – 600 feet apart – in the surf at an eight-foot depth.
   The study also calls for sand renourishment on the beach until that and the barriers restore the beach.
   The contract the county signed Monday for this part of the project with the state General Land Office (GLO) calls for “environmental permitting, engineering design, sand source investigation and public outreach.”
   GLO/CEPRA (Coastal Erosion Planning & Response Act) will fund 60%, or $118,200, of the $197,000 project and the county, as qualified project partner, will pay $78,800.
   McDonald said he was hopeful the project will rebuild the beach, “or what’s left of it.”

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
Average: 5 (1 vote)