Railroad served plantation community

Hawkinsville is shown on this 1907 postal map

Handbook of Texas Online

    Hawkinsville was a plantation community seventeen miles from what is now Van Vleck in southeastern Matagorda County. 
   It was at a site on Caney Creek, where the rich bottomlands supported a thriving plantation economy before the Civil War.   
   The Hawkinsville Tap of the New York, Texas and Mexican Railway, which ran parallel to what is now Farm road 457, had reached Hawkinsville by 1903. 
   The community was named for plantation owner James Boyd Hawkins, who in 1840 or 1845 brought his wife and a number of slaves to lower Caney Creek. 
   They lived in a two-story colonial-style plantation house, the remains of which stood as late as 2011.  

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet