Nuckols Hotel built shortly after Bay City’s founding

Matagorda County TXGenWeb
Nuckols Family in Front of the Nuckols Hotel: Standing, from left, Trannie, Beulah, Andrew, Etta, Harvey, Carrie and Willie; seated, from left, Sarah Jane, Clyde and John V. Nuckols. Daughter Nora was living in Beaumont at the time of the picture and was not present.

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

   On the southwest corner of the square in Bay City there was once a large, two story frame structure known as the Nuckols Hotel. 
   Shortly after Bay City was founded in October, 1894, John Nuckols built the town's first hotel. 
   Adjacent to the two-story Nuckols House, situated on the west side of the square, was a vegetable and flower garden.
   This hostelry bore the name if its owners, John V. and Sarah Jane Nuckols, and served as a “home” to the travelers coming in and out of Bay City for many years. 
   During the devastating storm of 1909, it served as headquarters for those helping with relief work in the storm stricken area, and the Nuckols girls cooked and served meals, dried wet clothing, and provided what help they could for the weary storm victims. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet