Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church

The state historical marker for Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church on Caney Creek, off FM 527, shows that slaves from nearby plantations on the Lower Caney Creek contined to worship after the Civil War and acquired land where the church is now in 1885 and built a sanctury at the site that was used for several decades. It was a community school until around 1930. A homecoming is held the second Saturday in November.
Matagorda County TXGenWeb

Rate this article: 
No votes yet