Grandparents: Consider these financial moves

   It’s almost National Grandparents Day. 
   If you have grandchildren, how can you help them on their journey through life? 
   Here’s one suggestion: Contribute to an education fund, possibly by investing in a 529 plan. 
   If you want to set up a platform for simply gifting money to your young grandchildren, you might want to consider a custodial account, known as a UGMA or UTMA. 
   But once your grandchildren reach the age of majority, they’ll gain full access to the money and can use it however they choose – and they might not choose college. 
   In any case, see your tax advisor before setting up a UGMA or UTMA. 
   For older grandchildren who might be saving for a new home or some other major goal, you could gift $15,000 per year, per recipient, without incurring gift taxes. 
   And don’t forget your estate plans – you may need to adjust your will or living trust to accommodate your wishes for your grandchildren. 
   The world is an expensive place, and any assistance you can provide to your beloved grandkids can make a big difference in their lives. 
   Edward Jones, its employees and financial advisors are not estate planners and cannot provide tax or legal advice.   
   You should consult your estate-planning attorney or qualified tax advisor regarding this situation.   
   This article was written by Edward Jones for use by your local Edward Jones Financial Advisor John Dickerson. Member SIPC.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet