History of Tyree African Methodist Episcopal Church

Photos courtesy of Roxie O'Neal
Today’s church.

   In the year 1894, Mrs. Jane Lewis, a community spiritual leader, saw the need for an African Methodist Episcopal Church in our then small community. 
   And as a result of her keen vision, this conscientious woman made known her desire throughout the community.  
   She found that there were two other persons, the Rev. Booker McQuirter and Augustus Hardeman, Sr., who also had seen the need and wanted to work toward its fulfillment.  
   These three set about soliciting funds from their generous and well-wishing white friends.  
   The Rev. McQuirter and Augustus Hardeman both were carpenters, and as funds sufficient to purchase land and lumber were received, the community project was begun. In the year 1901 a building for worship though humble was completed. 
   Mrs. Jane Lewis named the church Tyree Chapel A.M.E. Church in honor of the Bishop Evan Tyree, the 26th Bishop of the A.M.E. church. 
   The Reverend Tyree had been elected in 1900 and served as an active Bishop for 21 years.  
   Until the establishment of the church in 1901, Rev. McQuirter gave spiritual guidance to the Black community. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet