Efforts to organize Mother Zion Missionary Baptist Church began in 1906

Matagorda County TXGenWeb
Mother Zion Missionary Baptist Church

By Rosa Lee Brown & Kathleen Tatum
Matagorda County TXGenWeb

   While Bay City was still young, a group of ten baptized believers organized a Colored Baptist Church. 
   They held all of their first services in a small one-room building which had been given to them by some white friends.
   In 1906, the group elected Rev. Basil Tolson for their first pastor and named their church group the Mother Zion Missionary Baptist Church and laid out plans to buy land and build a larger house of worship.
   December 27, 1906, they purchased land in the original townsite of Bay City. 
   This plot of ground was sold to Mother Zion Missionary Baptist Church by G.M. Magill ET. Al: the said G.M. Magill for himself and for the consideration of $50.00 paid by trustees of Mother Zion Missionary Baptist Church. 
   All that certain piece of land known and described as: Lot #4, Block #29, fronting 50 feet on Avenue B and running back between parallel lines 140 ft. to a 20 ft. alley.
   On Feb. 20, 1907, the trustees of Mother Zion Missionary Baptist Church signed a Deed of Trust with Alamo Lumber Company, for building material to erect a frame church house on their land. The building was complete June 19, 1907, when Rev. Basil Tolson held the first services in the new building.
   A terrible hurricane destroyed the church, July 21, 1909. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet