"Boy found late Monday after an extensive search" by: Mike Reddell

   The search ended late Monday night, July 7, for a 10-year-old boy missing off Matagorda Beach since Sunday evening, June 6, Matagorda County Sheriff’s Office reported.
   The boy and a 30-year-old man were taken out by the surf about a quarter-mile east of Jetty Park about 6:50 p.m. Sunday, and the boy’s body was found about a third of a mile west of the beach vehicle entrance, deputies said. 
   A deputy confirmed that the body found was 10-year-old Nicholas.
   Precinct 6 Justice of the Peace James Powell was notified and performed an inquest.   
   The search for the boy by boat, air and by vehicle Monday included the Matagorda County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Game Wardens, and the Coast Guard.
    Sheriff Skipper Osborne said deputies were initially told three people were in the water at Matagorda Beach “in distress.”
   The man was fishing at that location when he was pulled out to the surf, Osborne told Commissioners Court Monday morning.
   The Coast Guard was notified and sent two boats and a helicopter to search for the missing man and child.  
   The body of Rudy Gomez, 30, was spotted in the surf near shore around the same location where he was swept out at about 9 p.m.
   “We were standing on the beach when the 30-year-old washed up before us,” Osborne told the court.
   “Deputy Josh Crosby along with the Matagorda Volunteer Fire Department rescue first responder entered the surf and pulled Mr. Gomez on to the beach,” the sheriff said.  Matagorda County EMS were unable to find a pulse after arriving at the beach, Osborne said.
   Precinct 6 Justice of the Peace James Powell was notified and performed an inquest at Jetty Park.
   Rudy Gomez showed an address in Angleton, Osborne said.
   Fox 26 Houston reported Monday that Michael Castro, a family friend of the missing boy, said that the 10-year-old Nicholas Arriaga and his mother’s boyfriend were fishing along the shore Sunday evening.
   He said the boyfriend went swimming in the water while Nicholas was working on his fishing rod.
   At some point, another individual on the beach saw Nicholas run into the water, presumably to swim.
Castro said a 13-year-old girl noticed Nicholas struggling in the water. 
   He said she tried to grab him and swim to shore, but she too started getting hit by the waves.
“She was on her tiptoes so she tried to save herself. So she let go of him, and they haven’t seen him since,” Castro said.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet