History

Thu
26
Apr

Matagorda Masons were among first in Texas to organize

Matagorda County TXGenWeb
This painting is believed to be of the first Matagorda Masonic Lodge in the 1850s.

By Mary Belle Ingram
Historic Matagorda County, 
Volume I, pages 450-451
Don Winnett, A History of Matagorda Lodge #7 A. F. & A. M. Matagorda, Texas
 
   On February 11, 1828, Stephen F. Austin called a meeting of Masons at San Felipe for the purpose of electing officers and petitioning the Grand York Lodge of Mexico for a Charter to form a lodge in Texas. 
   As a result of that meeting, the following were elected: Stephen F. Austin, Master; Ira Ingram, Senior Warden; H. H. League, Junior Warden; Thomas M. Duke, Secretary. Ingram, League and Duke were all from the Matagorda area.  
   The petition was never granted and it became apparent that Mexican leaders regarded Masonic activity in Texas with hostility.  
   The Grand Lodge had been formed on December 20, 1837 at a meeting in which President Sam Houston presided. 
Thu
19
Apr

Halfmoon Lighthouse once guided mariners on Matagorda Bay

Halfmoon Lighthouse on land

From Lighthousefriends.com 

Fri
13
Apr

"A.C. Burkhardt’s life provides a look at 1900 Matagorda County "

By Emmie Parris Johnson
From Oak Leaves
Matagorda County Genealogical Society 

Thu
05
Apr

Grimes’ operations stretched from Tres Palacios to Delaware

Picture courtesy of Robert M. Davant & Matagorda County Museum
Grimes Home

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

Thu
05
Apr

Captain Dick Grimes made his way in commanding freight vessels

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

Thu
29
Mar

Bay City Business College: Training for all business branches

Photo courtesy of Bobbie Gaspard
Bay City Business College Float - card dated Dec. 31, 1910. Tennie Mae Benge (back row, third from left) - Married Vance C. Porter in 1922.

Matagorda County TXGenWeb 

The charter for the Bay City Business College was filed August 30, 1910. 
   It was formed for the purpose of maintaining and conducting a college for teaching and instruction in all business branches. 
   The first directors were R. M. Gannon, Henry Rugeley, John Sloan, John W. Gaines and M. Thompson. 
   The amount of the capital stock was $500 which was divided into fifty shares of $10 each. 
   Stockholders in addition to the founders were: J. Sutherland, F. Huebner, B. E. Norvell, N. M. Vogelsang, William Cash, R. L. Perry, T. J. Poole, G. M. Magill, W. S. Holman, C. A. Erickson and V. L. LeTulle. 
   It is believed that the college was located in the Hamilton building and an advertisement stated “Bay City Business College is the only permanent business college in the Mid-Coast section.”   

Thu
22
Mar

Gone fishing: Stories from Palacios, Collegeport

Matagorda County TXGenWeb
Is Fishing Good In Palacios?
Jew fish weighing 500 pounds caught by Palacios fisherman.—Palacios Beacon, August 29, 1919

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

 

Thu
15
Mar

Selkirk’s career marked by many accomplishments

   James Henry Selkirk (March 29, 1815-October 31, 1862), the only son of William Selkirk, came from Selkirk, Albany County, New York, in 1836— after the Battle of San Jacinto— with a group of New York volunteers recruited to help the Texas colonists like Mexico for independence.   
   According to family records, James Henry was an apprentice in the establishment of James Gould, in Albany, New York.   
   This company manufactured post coaches and other vehicles. James Henry was in the painting department where he became and “ornamentor” and was most proficient.   
   After serving his time as an apprentice in becoming a skilled ornamentor, he received the highest fee been paid to coachmakers. he was active also in the establishment of a historic society and, while in Albany, was the leading actor in theatrical performances.    

Thu
15
Mar

Selkirk cousins started daguerreotype gallery

   In the book, Pioneer Photographers from the Mississippi to the Continental Divide by Peter E. Palmquist and Thomas R. Kailbourn, James Selkirk established a daguerreian gallery in Matagorda in 1846.  
   By Spring 1848 he advertised that he had “purchased a new and improved daguerreotype apparatus featuring the most costly acromatic lenses. 
   At that time his studio was on Lewis Street. It’s not clear exactly when Selkirk’s cousin, James Selkirk, became a partner in the gallery.    
   From 1852 to 1853 they advertised in local newspapers as “J.H. and J. Selkirk, Daguerreotype operators and dealers in Daguerreotype Stock” in Matagorda. 

Thu
15
Mar

Elder Selkirk helped lay out town of Matagorda

   William Selkirk, one of Stephen F. Austin’s Old Three Hundred colonists, one of at least two sons of James and Elizabeth (Henry) Selkirk, of Selkirk, New York, was born on July 24, 1792. 
   His father was a Scottish immigrant.  
   Before coming to Texas around the fall of 1823 William Selkirk served in the War of 1812, worked as a silversmith, and married Matilda Hallenbake, with whom he had two children before her death on August 25, 1820.  
   He left the children under the guardianship of his brother and went to Texas, where he became a surveyor for the Austin colony.  
   For a time he employed Daniel Shipman as an assistant, paying him one dollar per day in “land office money,” or credit toward buying land in the colony.  

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - History