History

Thu
19
Mar

early Matagorda memories: Havards, Rymans

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/
The Ryman-Havard house is a Matagorda landmark. The house was built in 1903 (above)

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following story about early Matagorda settlers if from a Matagorda County Historical Association tape made in 1982 at the home of Geraldyne Havard in Matagorda.
   She talked about the house primarily, its occupants, the Ryman family and the history that is involved with their comings and goings.
   Eve Bond conducted the interview that’s found on the Matagorda County genweb: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/.
 
  This house was built at the turn of the century by my grandfather who was Boltes Albert Ryman.
Thu
12
Mar

Caney grew where several early roads crossed

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/
The Caney store first opened in 1853 by Virginian Presley C. Evans at the crossroads of the routes leading from Matagorda to San Felipe and Columbus and from Brazoria to Texana and Victoria. Another Virginia native, John Matthews took over its operation in 1857 and ran the store until 1913.

   Situated in the shadows of the Bay City Regional Airport, near the crossroads of FM 457 and FM 2540, is a small cemetery which was a part of the Caney community, and is now only a memory, except for the historical marker placed on the side during the Texas Centennial in 1936. 

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition. 

Thu
05
Mar

Denn brothers, wives shared vision for business

Photo from Meyer Denn
Denn’s Sporting Goods was on the square here for 30 years. It was founded by three brothers: Sidney, Herman and Manuel Denn.

Fri
27
Feb

Matagorda County courthouses over time

An artist’s sketch shows the first courthouse in Matagorda in 1848, when that town was the county seat. Voters chose Bay City as the county seat in 1894 and perhaps the county’s most striking courthouse was built in the new community in 1895. The courthouse went through another facelift in the 1950s. This structure was the later enlarged and remodeled version of the 1895 building. Today’s Matagorda County Courthouse was built in 1965.

Thu
19
Feb

Another look at Powderhorn Ranch

Texas Parks & Wildlife photo
Coastal marsh creates different patterns along Matagorda Bay coastline at Powderhorn Ranch.

   The consortium that bought the famed Powderhorn Ranch across Matagorda Bay in Calhoun County last year, will ultimately open 17,321 acres to the public.
   Texas Monthly Magazine website carries a feature on the ranch that borders Port O’Connor - and Passo de Caballos in its February 2015 edition.
   Historically, the property once was the hunting ground of the Karankawas, LaSalle’s ship, the Belle, foundered not far from its shoreline and it was near where the famed Texas port of Indianola was established.
   The Nature Conservancy, the Nature Foundation and the Texas Parks & Wildlife Foundation paid $37,700, Texas Monthly said, for the ranch last August, with plans to open the mostly untouched coastal prairie acreage for the public to see.
Thu
19
Feb

Childers restoring house of early educator Tenie Holmes

Contributed photo
Restoration is under way on historic home of early educator Tenie Holmes on Avenue H.

   I’m proud of our County and the people who care for its historic treasures. 
   I was excited to see two small cottages on Avenue H in Bay City, being restored by local banker, Jason Childers. 
   One of the small homes being restored, at 2504 Ave. H, was the home of early educator Christine “Tenie” M. Holmes. 
   She was a true gift to Bay City.

To read more, please log in or subscribe to our digital edition.

Thu
19
Feb

Laughter, talk will return to BayTex

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmatago/
An early postcard of the Baytex Hotel.

   The sounds of laughter and conversation will once again fill the rooms inside the long-abandoned BayTex Hotel on 6th street in Bay City as local developer; Stuart A. Lynn begins the preservation attention the historic landmark so greatly deserves. 
   In danger of being demolished more than once, The BayTex will house prestigious loft apartments.
   In 1927, the BayTex Hotel was financed by local businesses - Alamo Lumber Co., Central Power & Light Co., Paris Smith (1887-1978), president of the BayTex Hotel organization, and several other citizens interested in the venture. 
   It was considered modern in every way and had 49 guest rooms. 
Thu
12
Feb

State Provides more details on county markers

 EDITOR’S NOTE: The Bay City Sentinel announced state’s approval of four historical markers for Matagorda County in its Feb. 5 edition.
   The Matagorda County Historical Commission had just received the good news that day, so the Sentinel ran a short story on the announcement.
   The following article from the Texas Historical Commission includes more historical information on those markers.
   BAY CITY - Texas Historical Commission (THC) has recognized two events as significant parts of Texas history by granting an Official Texas Historical Marker for both.   
   In addition, two structures were also recognized as Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks for their history and architectural integrity.    
Thu
12
Feb

Palacios Colored School: Then and Now

Photo courtesy of Ernestine Heard Edwin
This undated photo shows students gathering for classes at the Palacios Colored School.

   Lack of education for the African-American population has been a persistent thread throughout U.S. history.  
   Prior to the Civil War, it was illegal in many states for African-Americans to be taught to read and write.  
   There are the stories of slaves, usually the offspring of a white master and a slave mother, who were taught to read and write; however, this was not the usual case. 
   Following the Civil War, schools started educating both white and African-American students.  
   By 1904, there were 32 independent school districts; 19 of them instructed a total of 764 African American students.  
   Conditions in the schools varied from homes to schoolrooms to barns. 
   The first mention of a “Negro” school in Palacios is in the April 4, 1929 edition of the Palacios Beacon: “during the 1928-29 school year...a Negro school has been maintained at a cost of approximately $300.00.”  
Thu
05
Feb

Town of Manhatten once planned at Caney Creek mouth

Photo/ Palaciois State Bank from Matagorda County TXgenwebsite

Manhattan was the name of a proposed town in southeastern Matagorda County to be at the mouth of Caney Creek on East Matagorda Bay, the easternmost part of which, at the junction of the mainland and the Matagorda Peninsula, was once called Manhattan Bay. 
   Proposed during the boom in town speculation of 1837–39, Manhattan apparently never developed into much.
   The February 1838 issues of the Matagorda Bulletin reported, however, the packet sloop Manhattan would make weekly trips between Matagorda and the town of Manhattan.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - History