History

Thu
03
May

Manso: The sire of Brahman sires

Courtesy Dr. Carolos Bonnot
Alberta Bonnot Gayle

    The famous American Brahman herd sire, Manso, was born on the Sartwelle Brothers Ranch in Palacios. 
   In the early 1900s, after their Episcopal minister father’s death at age 43 in 1897, W.L.D. Sartwelle relocated his younger siblings from Comanche, Texas, to their 
family’s Sarvaca Ranch in Lavaca County. 
   The Sartwelle’s Canmore Ranch properties in Matagorda County were under lease until 1917. 
   James W. Sartwelle, born in Dallas, after his father’s death was sent to his older sister’s husband’s school in Niagra Falls, NY. 
   He returned to the Gulf Coast as a railroad agent and telegrapher living in LaWard. 
   He later managed cattle operations for the Ward Cattle and Pasture Company where on their behalf he purchased the Brahman bulls and crossbreds cows of O’Connor’s one half of the Borden-Pierce Bos Indicus cattle imported from India in 1906. 

Thu
03
May

Hudgins Ranch state historical marker text

.
J. D. Hudgins Ranch

Thu
26
Apr

Matagorda Masons were among first in Texas to organize

Matagorda County TXGenWeb
This painting is believed to be of the first Matagorda Masonic Lodge in the 1850s.

By Mary Belle Ingram
Historic Matagorda County, 
Volume I, pages 450-451
Don Winnett, A History of Matagorda Lodge #7 A. F. & A. M. Matagorda, Texas
 
   On February 11, 1828, Stephen F. Austin called a meeting of Masons at San Felipe for the purpose of electing officers and petitioning the Grand York Lodge of Mexico for a Charter to form a lodge in Texas. 
   As a result of that meeting, the following were elected: Stephen F. Austin, Master; Ira Ingram, Senior Warden; H. H. League, Junior Warden; Thomas M. Duke, Secretary. Ingram, League and Duke were all from the Matagorda area.  
   The petition was never granted and it became apparent that Mexican leaders regarded Masonic activity in Texas with hostility.  
   The Grand Lodge had been formed on December 20, 1837 at a meeting in which President Sam Houston presided. 
Thu
19
Apr

Halfmoon Lighthouse once guided mariners on Matagorda Bay

Halfmoon Lighthouse on land

From Lighthousefriends.com 

Fri
13
Apr

"A.C. Burkhardt’s life provides a look at 1900 Matagorda County "

By Emmie Parris Johnson
From Oak Leaves
Matagorda County Genealogical Society 

Thu
05
Apr

Grimes’ operations stretched from Tres Palacios to Delaware

Picture courtesy of Robert M. Davant & Matagorda County Museum
Grimes Home

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

Thu
05
Apr

Captain Dick Grimes made his way in commanding freight vessels

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

Thu
29
Mar

Bay City Business College: Training for all business branches

Photo courtesy of Bobbie Gaspard
Bay City Business College Float - card dated Dec. 31, 1910. Tennie Mae Benge (back row, third from left) - Married Vance C. Porter in 1922.

Matagorda County TXGenWeb 

The charter for the Bay City Business College was filed August 30, 1910. 
   It was formed for the purpose of maintaining and conducting a college for teaching and instruction in all business branches. 
   The first directors were R. M. Gannon, Henry Rugeley, John Sloan, John W. Gaines and M. Thompson. 
   The amount of the capital stock was $500 which was divided into fifty shares of $10 each. 
   Stockholders in addition to the founders were: J. Sutherland, F. Huebner, B. E. Norvell, N. M. Vogelsang, William Cash, R. L. Perry, T. J. Poole, G. M. Magill, W. S. Holman, C. A. Erickson and V. L. LeTulle. 
   It is believed that the college was located in the Hamilton building and an advertisement stated “Bay City Business College is the only permanent business college in the Mid-Coast section.”   

Thu
22
Mar

Gone fishing: Stories from Palacios, Collegeport

Matagorda County TXGenWeb
Is Fishing Good In Palacios?
Jew fish weighing 500 pounds caught by Palacios fisherman.—Palacios Beacon, August 29, 1919

Matagorda County TXGenWeb

 

Thu
15
Mar

Selkirk’s career marked by many accomplishments

   James Henry Selkirk (March 29, 1815-October 31, 1862), the only son of William Selkirk, came from Selkirk, Albany County, New York, in 1836— after the Battle of San Jacinto— with a group of New York volunteers recruited to help the Texas colonists like Mexico for independence.   
   According to family records, James Henry was an apprentice in the establishment of James Gould, in Albany, New York.   
   This company manufactured post coaches and other vehicles. James Henry was in the painting department where he became and “ornamentor” and was most proficient.   
   After serving his time as an apprentice in becoming a skilled ornamentor, he received the highest fee been paid to coachmakers. he was active also in the establishment of a historic society and, while in Albany, was the leading actor in theatrical performances.    

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - History