History

Gillespie kept up his ministry until death

   Following the 1946 car wreck (see related story) he had friends from Palacios who drove him to Collegeport each Sunday.   For many years, in the 1940s, Rev. Gillespie wrote the Thanksgiving message in the Palacios Beacon as well as Christmas messages and also one about the needy in the town.

Bay City National Guard left for Mexico 100 years ago

   The days of ’61 were recalled by the old Confederates who looked on the scene. Mr. D. A. Coston and wife were there to see their son Grover off. Capt. J. C. Jones, whose son C.R. is one of the company, and W. H. Pressley and Capt. Frank Rugeley formed a little group waiting for the start.    M.
Courtesy of Matagorda County Museum The damage was extensive at the Jefferson Davis School on 4th Street and Avenue. L, facing 4th.

Courtesy of Matagorda County Museum The damage was extensive at the Jefferson Davis School on 4th Street and Avenue. L, facing 4th.

Bay City caught in fury of 1909 ‘Velasco’ hurricane

 Headlines from Houston Post over its news articles tied to 1909 hurricane impact in Matagorda County.Fifty Per Cent of Business and Residence Section Damaged and Loss Will Total $250,000Under Martial LawArmy of Constables Sworn In to Protect PropertyBut One Loss of LifeInfant of Mr.

Four cemeteries part of Blessing history

Hawley Cemetery  Hawley Cemetery, first known as Deming’s Bridge Cemetery, was established in 1854. It is located on Tres Palacios River, two miles east of Blessing, in the Thomas Jamison League of Matagorda County, Texas.

Bethlehem Church centerpiece of Cedar Lake history

   Cedar Lake,on Farm Road 2611 just west of the Brazoria county line in southeastern Matagorda County, was named for a cedar brake surrounding a nearby lake.   A post office operated there from 1848 until 1855.   In September 1854 the name was changed to Dura, and in November, to Duroc.
Contributed photo Two little kids get some help from adults in placing flowers at the base of markers for Allenhurst Community, and Allenhurst Cemetery Historic Texas Cemetery.

Contributed photo Two little kids get some help from adults in placing flowers at the base of markers for Allenhurst Community, and Allenhurst Cemetery Historic Texas Cemetery.

Marker dedication recalls Allenhurst town, cemetery

   An estimated 50 people attended the official Texas Historical Marker Dedication ceremony Allenhurst Community & Cemetery and Allenhurst-Mt. Zion Cemetery Historic Texas Cemetery Saturday, April 6.

Four cemeteries part of Blessing history

Hawley Cemetery  Hawley Cemetery, first known as Deming’s Bridge Cemetery, was established in 1854. It is located on Tres Palacios River, two miles east of Blessing, in the Thomas Jamison League of Matagorda County, Texas.

Moore House built for a prominent leader

   The D.P. and Louise Moore home was built on block 60 in 1902 by builders Hatchett and Large.   The land was purchased from David Swickheimer on Nov. 20, 1894.   Lots 4 - 9 - 2404 Ave. E - were for the homesite, and the other half was used for pasture.